Saturday, December 5, 2009

Training and such

I have been super motivated this past week to get things in order. I have spent the majority of the week organizing everything for the eventual move into the house, once it is finished. I have also spent some time defining my class structure further, and getting all my students folders and levels in order. Yes folks, I take notes!
 Making my early resolutions (I'll refer to them as goals from now on) has lit my fire some. I had decided to switch Moxie to running contacts, and Hustle to start from scratch with running, but that leaves the dilemna of Sally. Sally used to have a fantastic 2 on 2 off position, and somewhere along the line I have muddied the waters terribly. We tried running, but she started to bail higher and higher and Sally never misses contacts. The more I seem to train her, the worse she gets, so she leaves me at a constant crossroads. I believe I will train her with the others on running contacts, and see where it leads. She may never have a perfect running contact, or a perfect stop, but I am tired of stressing about them and we need to just pick something and make it happen.
 Hustle is doing very well on his retrieve training. It helps that I set a quick deadline for myself, because it makes me work harder and my training tends to be much better as a result. He is now picking up the toy, and walking it towards me. Tomorrow, he needs to have a full play retrieve or I guess I just dock my own pay for the day, huh?
 I started Moxie on a flat board today, and clicked her for running across it. I think she will be a breeze to train, but I want to make sure I do all the steps correctly. I need to pepper in more weave training in her contact training, because that's where we are losing all our Qs. All in all, I couldn't be happier with her performances in trials. She is coming out of her shell, speeding up on courses, and generally looking like I actually put the time into her training that I did! Foundation pays off huge dividends in the end!
 Bailey is the worlds cutest, smartest older dog. She is currently on antibiotics for a bladder infection, and she invents new ways every day to avoid her pills. I saw her literally move the pill to the side of her mouth, and swallow, then walk away from me and spit the pill out around the corner. You have to love an old dog.  I also started to work her with the Manners Minder. She's my easiest to train, so she's always good to experiment with. She caught on after a bit, but she still kept looking to my hands for food delivery. The remote looks like a clicker to her, and she is so clicker savvy that she is certain that the food in the bowl is a trick! I love that girl!
 Sally gets her first flat board experience in a little while, so I'll be interested to see how this goes!
 And somebody click me please! I went for a 30 minute walk today with my friend,  my idea! I will walk tomorrow, and start my jogging plan officially on Monday. I did decide to do 3 training plans instead of 2. A 5 week to a 5k plan, then 10 weeks to a 10k, then 10 weeks to a mini. I want this to be fun for me and if I have these smaller goals, it'll be easier for me to stay the course!
 Jason and Ronnie worked more on the building today, the back end of the building is now framed up. We need to insulate it, then put on the outer walls. I guess we do dirt, doors and lights last! I am ready to rock with this. Life sure does have a way of working itself out sometimes...

No comments:

Post a Comment